ARTICLE 19 responded to the Office of the Secretary-General’s Envoy on Technology’s call for papers on key issues on global AI governance in advance of the first meeting of the Multistakeholder Advisory Body on AI (Advisory Body).
In it, we encourage the Advisory Body to consider a human rights-centered framework—particularly as it relates to the right of freedom of expression—as one of its thematic pillars. We further offer a suggested 10-point focus framework for this pillar, based on ARTICLE 19’s analysis of existing guidance, best practices, and risk areas on AI and freedom of expression from a variety of stakeholders.
The framework should address the following issues:
- AI and content-based interferences with freedom of expression
- AI and surveillance
- AI and safety of human rights defenders, journalists and, activists
- AI and media freedom
- AI industry best practices
- Respect for human rights safeguards
- AI and transparency
- Impact assessments
- Prohibition of dangerous AI